If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide In Your Home…
If you or anyone in your home is experiencing the symptoms of CO poisoning, ensure that everyone leaves the home immediately. Call your local fire department or 911 from a neighbour’s telephone. If your CO alarm sounds, do NOT assume it to be a false alarm. If you cannot find the problem and the alarm continues, contact the fire department. If there is a strong smell of natural gas in your home, evacuate immediately, leaving the door open, and contact your local gas utility.
If no symptoms are experienced, reset the alarm and check to see if it activates. If the alarm sounds a second time, call the local fire department for their assistance.
If the alarm does not sound a second time, check for common conditions that may have caused a CO build-up or contact a qualified heating contractor to check your fuel-burning equipment.
If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide In Your Home