Augusta Fire Rescue History
A disastrous fire east of Maitland on June 19, 1957 which left nine persons homeless, spurred the formation of the Augusta Township Fire Department.
The day following the blaze, Fire Marshall Herb Mallory chaired a meeting of Augusta residents to discuss the formation of a fire department. Formal organization took place on July 19, 1957 and five days later the Augusta Council passed a bylaw to tender for a new fire truck and fire-fighting equipment. Bert Hollis became the first Fire Chief. A two acre parcel of land was donated to the new fire department by R.C. Webster of Maitland. The first fire truck, a GM equipped with an American Marsh pump was delivered on December 15, 1957. This truck still remains at Station #1, although her firefighting duties have long past, she may still be seen in numerous parades and shows throughout the area. A one bay fire hall was erected on the Webster land, and officially opened on January 26, 1958. The hall is still in use today, although a few additions have been added. Prior to the official opening of the new hall, the department had its baptism of fire on January 8, 1958, when it answered its first fire call. Late in 1958 the Augusta Township Fire Department joined the Leeds and Grenville Mutual Aid system, and within a month were called to assist the Brockville Fire Department with a major blaze on King St. The members of the fire department built their first tanker in 1961. In 1971 the department expanded when 18 men from North Augusta joined the force. Station #2 in North Augusta was officially opened December 3, 1973, and a new GMC pumper found its home there. Those two stations currently house 2 pumpers, 2 tankers, 2 rescue trucks, 1 van and 1 pick up truck, combined with a combined complement of approx 40 firefighters.